In 1873, Mr. Horace Rochford, established the All Ireland Polo Club in the Phoenix Park. The polo club play every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday on the polo grounds in the Phoenix Park (weather permitting).
Áras an Uachtaráin, meaning house of the president in Irish, is the official residence of the President of Ireland, Michael D. Higgins. Construction on the grounds began in 1751 by park ranger and architect, Nathaniel Clements.
The Royal Zoological Society of Dublin was established at a meeting held at the Rotunda Hospital on May 10th, 1830. The zoo, then called the Zoological Gardens Dublin, was opened on September 1st, 1831.
The Wellington Monument is an obelisk located in the Phoenix Park.It is the tallest obelisk in Europe ,standing at 203 feet. The monument is located at the south-east end of the park and overlooks the River Liffey and Kilmainham
Farmleigh House was originally used as the summer residence of the Guinness family. The house is steeped in history, with many of the original furnishings and artworks still available to view in the house.
The lamps in the park are still lit by gas, however, they no longer need to be manually lit each evening. Irish writer James Joyce, mentions the lighting of the lamps that line Chersterfield Avenue, in his novel, Finnegan’s Wake.
GAA has been played in the Phoenix Park since 1881, when Michael Cusack held a sports day to encourage Irish sporting events. The park is now home to seven GAA pitches that are typically used for Gaelic football, hurling and camogie.
The Leinster Model Flying Club established in 1972, is the largest model flying club in Ireland, with up to ninety members. Its main aim is to promote the safe flying of radio controlled aircraft in a friendly environment.
The Phoenix Park provides 20km of cycle paths for visitors to experience, enjoy and tour the park safely. Take in all the sights, smells and sounds of the park as you spin down the designated cycle lanes, or go off the beaten track if you’re feeling more adventurous.