Áras an Uachtaráin, meaning house of the president in Irish, is the official residence of the President of Ireland, Michael D. Higgins. Construction on the grounds began in 1751 by park ranger and architect, Nathaniel Clements.
The Royal Zoological Society of Dublin was established at a meeting held at the Rotunda Hospital on May 10th, 1830. The zoo, then called the Zoological Gardens Dublin, was opened on September 1st, 1831.
The Wellington Monument is an obelisk located in the Phoenix Park.It is the tallest obelisk in Europe ,standing at 203 feet. The monument is located at the south-east end of the park and overlooks the River Liffey and Kilmainham
Farmleigh House was originally used as the summer residence of the Guinness family. The house is steeped in history, with many of the original furnishings and artworks still available to view in the house.
The lamps in the park are still lit by gas, however, they no longer need to be manually lit each evening. Irish writer James Joyce, mentions the lighting of the lamps that line Chersterfield Avenue, in his novel, Finnegan’s Wake.