The Phoenix Monument was erected by the 4th Earl of Chesterfield, Philip Dormer Stanhope, in 1747. He is best remembered today for being the first official to allow Dubliners to roam freely in the Phoenix Park. The monument depicts a phoenix bird rising from the ashes at its pinnacle, on a Corinthian column.
The Phoenix Monument is located in the centre of the park and forms the focal point of a large roundabout on the beautiful tree-lined Chesterfield Avenue. The column was carved from Portland stone.