Áras an Uachtaráin (formerly the Viceregal Lodge), meaning house of the president in Irish, is the official residence of the President of Ireland, Michael D. Higgins. Construction on the grounds began in 1751 by park ranger and architect, Nathaniel Clements.
Throughout the political history of Ireland, the Áras has been the residence of a variety of government officials. It was bought by the Viceroys in the 1780's, to act as the British Lord Lieutenant of Ireland‘s summer residence. During Home Rule, it acted as the residence of the Crown's representative, the Governor's General.
In 1938, one year after the creation of the office of the President of Ireland, the building became home to Ireland’s first president, Douglas Hyde.
There are free public tours of Áras an Uachtaráin every Saturday.