The Citadel pond was formed in the remains of a moat which once enclosed a large star-shaped fort. The fort was removed in the 19th Century but the hollow remained as a water feature.
During World War 2, in May, 1941, German planes bombed Dublin and two of the bombs fell in the Phoenix Park. One bomb landed beside the Citadel Pond and the other near the Phoenix Cricket Club. The blast reportedly shattered windows at Áras an Uachtaráin . The occupants of the pump house near the Citadel Pond escaped injury, but the house had to be demolished.
The Citadel Pond, also known as the Dog Pond, was in the past used by children for sailing toy boats. It is now an excellent paddling spot for dogs, a quiet contemplation area and home to many of the park's bird species.
The fenced pond area is located near the main gate of the Phoenix Park and hosts beautiful views onto the cricket grounds and beyond toward the Dublin Mountains. There are several benches dotted around the perimeter of the pond, offering visitors a wonderful spot to read a book or watch the wildlife on the lily pond. You are sure to see some friendly resident grey squirrels, who live in the impressive trees that shade the pond.