Built in 1735, the Magazine Fort is located in the south-eastern end of the park, with beautiful views over Dublin and the mountains beyond. Historically, the fort was a symbol of the British occupation in Ireland.
Author Jonathan Swift (1667-1745) once proclaimed:
Now's here's a proof of Irish sense
Here Irish wit is seen
When nothing's left that's worth defense,
We build a Magazine.
During the Easter Rising in 1916, the Irish Volunteers broke into the fort, as it was a large store of British Army explosives. They had planned to set it alight and blow it up, as a signal for the commencement of the rising. However, they failed to gain access to the main store and their attempts to explode the fort failed.